You know our HOUSE Reserve Kimchi, funky and richly flavorful from a long ferment, but allow us to introduce you to Moses Sleeper from The Cellars at Jasper Hill Farm.
Moses is a nuanced soft-ripened cheese inspired by classic French Brie with a thin bloomy rind and gooey, milky core. Aged 6-12 weeks, the cheese has hints of mushroom and toasted nuts that belong wrapped in puff pastry with HOUSE oozing savory class at your event.
1 500g wheel Moses Sleeper by Jasper Hill Farms, chilled
1 8.5 oz sheet frozen puff pastry
1/2 medium yellow onion, sliced fine
1/4 jar (4 oz) HOUSE Reserve Kimchi, chopped small
2 scallions, sliced
½ tsp. fish sauce
1.5 tbsp. honey
butter, for frying
sesame seeds, for garnish
all-purpose flour, for rolling and dusting
For the Kimchi Topping
- In a medium pan set over low heat, sauté the onions in butter until deeply caramelized, stirring often. Remove onions from pan and set aside.
- Add chopped kimchi to pan and sauté to cook off excess moisture, about 2-3 minutes. Return caramelized onions to the pan. Pour in fish sauce and honey and toss to combine well. Turn off heat - you don’t want to burn the honey. Stir in sliced green onions and set mixture aside to cool completely.
For the Assembly
- Remove puff pastry sheet from the freezer and thaw according to package directions. Do not over-thaw - your pastry needs to be kept cold or else it won’t rise
- When thawed, turn back to the puff pastry. On a lightly-floured work surface, roll out the puff pastry sheet to a size large enough to fold up and over the wheel of Moses Sleeper. You need to work quickly with your puff pastry. If at any time it becomes sticky, return it to the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Place the Moses Sleeper in the center of the rolled out puff pastry. Working quickly, spread the kimchi topping evenly over the cheese. Fold the sides of the puff pastry up over the cheese (this doesn’t have to be perfect - in fact the folds look better a little crazy).
- Return the wrapped cheese to the refrigerator for 20 minutes, or until just before you’re ready to bake.
For Baking and Serving
- When ready to bake, preheat oven to 400F and position a rack in the center of the oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the pastry-wrapped cheese in the center. Brush the entire surface of the puff pastry (even the sides) with the beaten egg. Sprinkle with sesame seeds for garnish.
- Once preheated, transfer cheese to the oven. Bake for 40 minutes. The top should be golden.
- Allow the cheese to sit at room temperature for about five minutes before slicing into it. Serve hot with crackers, sliced baguette, apple slices, or sliced Asian pear.